Monday, August 1, 2011

First Project--Starting Up

It's been months since I've painted a miniature so when I started up again last month, my first few models were test-drives. My first two were pretty rough. I chose weird colors for the necromancer chick, didn't highlight the knight's cloth at all, and sprayed them with way too much acrylic sealer which made them look too glossy. I'm not very happy with them, but it was a good refresher course for me.

My third model in that batch was a female ranger. She turned out better than the first two since I did take the time to highlight her cloth and leather armor (although on the cloak, I made the green highlight color too bright). I made the same mistake of spraying her with too much sealer just as I had done with the first two models. I also worked on figuring out how wood should look. I'm still working on the wood thing. Wood doesn't just look flat brown, so I've tried giving the wood a base coat of black and then lightly painting it brown without filling in the cracks in the wood--sort of like a heavy dry-brush effect. I'll show you what I mean in the next post with the gnoll I recently did.

1 comment:

  1. I like the ranger, reminds me of the ones from Eldar in 40k. Some of my favorite units, and I like the stand and cloak on this one :)